Thursday, July 4, 2013

AWS stands for AWesome Sauce



Quick update here: AWS is awesome. In between work tasks (waiting for tests to run, waiting for compilation, etc.) I've been playing with the free AWS stuff that Amazon is currently offering, specifically EC2. I've managed to create my own cloud based Windows 2012 server instance and am running VS2012 Express on it.

How. Cool. Is. That?

Once I get a clone of my project on this VM, I'll be able to remotely work on my code from any Windows machine (using Remote Desktop Connect). Even though the free speeds and disk space aren't great, it'll be more than perfect for getting a quick couple of lines out here and there and pushing them up to my repo so that I can pull them down on my actual development machine.

But, when I start raking in the dough, I won't have to do that. I may actually be able to forgo having a development machine altogether and just let Amazon manage my stuff for me. Sure, I'll have to pay for it (I believe the hourly rates are somewhere between 2 and 7 cents). But this will be perfect if I ever decide I can go back to using a netbook for all my online operations.

I could conceivably even code from a tablet or a PHONE! Especially in those times when I have a flash of inspiration about a particular project and need to code it out. As in, right now. This happens more often than one would think.

The future is really here.

No comments:

Post a Comment